Whole-Wheat Breadstick dough
1. Prepare Steps 1 through 3 of recipe for Whole-Wheat Breadsticks as
directed. Do not prepare Egg Glaze.
2. Heat oven to 375’F. Invert two 8-inch metal bowls on a small baking
sheet or pizza pan. Very generously grease outside of each bowl.
3. Roll out dough to a 16- by 10-inch rectangle. With sharp knife, cut
three 1/2-inch strips from 16-inch side of rectangle; braid into a
16-inch strip for handle. Center braid over one greased bowl; trim
off excess. If desired, if bowl is flat rather than round on the
bottom, place a greased ball of aluminum foil under braid on top of
bowl to make handle rounded.
4. Repeat to make another 16-inch braid; set aside. Cut remainder of
dough into seven 16-by 1-inch strips. Cut 4 strips in half and place
the 8 half-strips, spoke-fashion, over second greased bowl, meeting
loosely in top center of inverted bowl. Trim off and reserve any
excess dough at bottom where bowl meets baking sheet. Stretch
reserved braid around bottom of bowl, pinching together where ends
5. Weave a strip of dough through dough “spokes,” 1 inch above braid.
Repeat weaving 3 more strips at 1-inch intervals pinching off excess
dough and joining ends of strips. Pinch ends of “spokes” together and
flatten at what will become the bottom of the basket. Shape excess
dough into a roll; let rise and bake with basket. Let rise in warm
place, away from drafts, until double in size-about 40 minutes.
6. Bake, still on inverted bowls, 30 to 35 minutes or until bread is
well browned and sounds hollow when tapped on top. Cool bread on wire
rack at least 20 minutes. Gently remove bread from bowls and cool
completely. For serving, attach handle to basket with toothpicks,
and, if desired, fill with other breads.
Country Living/Jan/94 Scanned & fixed by DP and GG