1 1/2 c Warm water (105′ to 115’F) -kernels (or wheat flakes)
1 pk Active dry yeast 1 1/2 ts Salt
1/3 c Sugar 2 tb Vegetable oil
2 c Unsifted bread flour 1 Large egg
1 To 1 1/2 C whole-wheat flour 1 tb Water
1 c Plus 2 t rolled wheat
1. In small bowl, combine 1/4 C water, the yeast, and 1 t of the
sugar; stir to dissolve yeast. Let stand until foamy- about 5 minutes.
2. In large bowl, preferably of heavy-duty electric mixer, combine
bread flour, 1 C whole-wheat flour, 1 C rolled wheat, the salt, and
remaining sugar. Add remaining 1 1/4 C water, the oil, and yeast
mixture. With spoon or dough hook of mixer, stir until a soft dough
3. Turn dough out onto floured surface. Knead dough, adding as much of
remaining whole-wheat flour as necessary to prevent stickiness, until
smooth and elastic-about 5 minutes.
4. Wash, dry, and oil mixing bowl. Place dough in oiled bowl, turning
to bring oiled side up. Cover with clean cloth; let dough rise in
warm place, away from drafts, until double in size-about 1 hour.
5. Generously grease 8 1/2- by 4 1/2-inch loaf pan. On floured
surface, pat dough into an 9-inch loaf and fit into greased loaf pan.
Cover with clean cloth and let rise 45 minutes.
6. Heat oven to 350’F. In small bowl, beat together egg and 1 T water.
Brush top of bread with egg mixture and sprinkle with remaining 2 t
rolled wheat. Bake 55 to 60 minutes or until bread is well browned
and sounds hollow when tapped on top. Remove bread from pan; cool on
wire rack at least 20 minutes before serving.
Country Living/Jan/94 Scanned & fixed by DP and GG