3 Slices lean bacon 2 Large eggs
1 1/2 c Yellow cornmeal 1/4 c Chopped green onions
1/2 c Unsifted all-purpose flour 1/2 c Fresh or thawed, frozen
2 tb Sugar -yellow whole-kernel corn
1 ts Baking powder 1/4 c Chopped, seeded mild fresh
1 ts Baking soda -or canned green chilies
1/4 ts Salt 1 Fresh or canned jalapeno
1/4 ts Ground red pepper -pepper, seeded and chopped
1 1/4 c Buttermilk
1. In 9-inch cast-iron skillet, cook bacon over medium-low heat until
crisp. Remove bacon; drain on paper towels; crumble and reserve. In
cup reserve 2 T bacon fat. Discard remaining fat; set skillet aside.
2. Heat oven to 350*F. In large bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, sugar,
baking powder, baking soda, salt, and red pepper, In small bowl, beat
together buttermilk, eggs, and 1 T reserved fat.
3. Heat remaining 1 T reserved fat in skillet over medium heat until
hot, tilting skillet to coat well.
4. Stir buttermilk mixture into cornmeal mixture just until dry
ingredients are moistened. Do not overmix. Set aside 1 t each
reserved bacon and green onion. Fold remaining bacon and green
onions, the corn, chilies, and jalapefio into the batter. Spoon
batter into heated skillet. Sprinkle top with the 1 t each bacon and
5. Bake corn bread 30 minutes or until golden brown and toothpick
inserted in center comes out clean. Cut bread in wedges and serve
warm from skillet.
Country Living/Nov/93 Scanned & fixed by DP & GG