1 c Warm water (105′ to 115’F) 2 1/2 To 3 C unsifted bread flour
1 pk Active dry yeast 1 tb Olive oil
1 tb Sugar 1/2 ts Salt
1 Large onion (‘Sun King’) 1 ts Coarse (kosher) salt
1 tb Olive oil
Topped with roasted onion slices, this pizza-like flat bread is an
ideal accompaniment to soups and salads.
1. Prepare Bread: In large bowl, combine water, yeast, and sugar;
stir to dissolve yeast. Let stand until foamy-about 5 minutes.
2. Add 2 C flour, the oil, and salt to yeast mixture. With wire whisk
or wooden spoon, beat vigorously 2 to 3 minutes or until smooth. Add
1/2 C flour or enough to form a soft dough.
3. Turn dough out onto floured surface. Knead dough, adding remaining
flour as necessary to prevent stickiness, until smooth and
elastic-about 5 minutes.
4. Wash, dry, and lightly oil mixing bowl. Place dough in oiled bowl,
turning to bring oiled side up. Cover with clean cloth and let dough
rise in warm place, away from drafts, until double in size-about 45
5. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface and divide into 6 equal
portions. Let dough rest 1 minute. Meanwhile, grease large baking
sheet. Roll each por- tion into a 51/2-inch-round bread. Place
breads, 2 inches apart, on greased sheet. Cover and let rise 30
6. Meanwhile, prepare Onion Topping: Heat oven to 400’F. Cut onion
crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices. In medium bowl, toss onion
slices with oil; spread on baking sheet. Bake 15 minutes, turning
once, until lightly browned. Remove roasted onion slices from oven.
7. Press onion slices firmly onto tops of bread rounds. Sprinkle with
coarse salt. Bake 15 minutes or until breads are lightly browned.
Nutrition information per round-protein: 7 g fat: 5 grams;
carbohydrate: 49 grams; fiber: 3 grams; sodium: 536 milligrams;
cholesterol: 0; calories: 272.
Country Living/Feb/94 Scanned & fixed by DP & GG