5 c Unsifted all-purpose flour 1 c Vegetable shortening or
2 ts Ground cinnamon -margarine
2 ts Ground ginger 1/4 c Sugar
1/2 ts Ground cloves 1 c Light molasses
1/4 ts Salt 1 lg Egg
1. On waxed paper, combine flour, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and salt.
2. In large bowl, with electric mixer, beat shortening and sugar until
light and fluffy. Beat in molasses and egg. Stir in flour mixture to
make a stiff dough. Divide dough into thirds; wrap with plastic wrap.
Refrigerate at least 1 hour or up to 3 days before using.
3. Heat oven to 350’F. For cut-out cookies, cover 2 or 3 large baking
sheets with aluminum foil or baking parchment paper. If making cookie
molds, prepare molds following manufacturer’s directions.
4. For cut cookies, on prepared sheet, roll out cookie dough, one
third at a time, to a 14 by 11-inch rectangle, about 1/8-inch thick.
Using patterns as a guide or cookie cutters, cut out as many pieces
as possible, leaving 1/2 inch between pieces. Lift off dough
trimmings and reserve to roll out later. If hanging cookies, make
holes in cookies using a straw or skewer.
5. For molded cookies, take a piece of dough and press it firmly and
evenly into prepared mold. Using rolling pin, roll over dough to fill
mold evenly. Using a sawing motion with a sharp knife, trim the back
of cookie so it is flush with the mold. Unmold cookie mold onto
prepared sheet following manufacturer’s directions.
6. Bake small gingerbread pieces 8 to 10 minutes, 12 to 15 minutes for
larger pieces, or 15 to 20 minutes for the molds. Cookies should be
firm and golden brown. Transfer cookies to wire racks; cool
completely before decorating. Store cookies in airtight containers.
MAKES THREE 14 BY 11-INCH RECTANGLES OF GINGERBREAD OR ABOUT SIXTY-SIX
Country Living Holidays/92 Scanned & fixed by Di Pahl & gg