2 c Dark seedless raisins 3/4 c Confectioners’ sugar
1/3 c Thawed, frozen orange-juice 2 c Unsifted all-purpose flour
-concentrate 1/2 ts Salt
1 ts Grated orange rind 1 ts Water
1 c (2 sticks) butter, softened
1. To make filling, in 2-quart saucepan, combine raisins and
orange-juice concentrate (reserve 1 t orange-juice concentrate for
glaze). Heat mixture to boiling over medium-high heat; reduce heat to
low and simmer uncovered 5 minutes. Remove filling from heat and stir
in orange rind; cool.
2. Heat oven to 375’F. To make short-bread base, in large bowl, beat
butter and 1/2 C sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually stir in
flour and salt until soft dough forms.
3. With fingertips, press half of dough into bottom of ungreased
9-inch-square baking pan. Spread filling over dough in pan. Between
sheets of generously floured waxed paper, roll out remaining dough to
9-inch square. Carefully place dough square onto filling in pan,
press dough down lightly to seal.
4. Bake Orange-Raisin Shortbread 30 to 35 minutes or until top is
lightly browned. Remove from oven and immediately cut Shortbread into
sixteen 2 1/4-inch squares. Cool squares in pan on wire rack.
5. To make glaze, in small bowl, combine remaining 1/4 C
confectioners’ sugar, the water, and reserved 1 teaspoon orange-juice
concentrate. Spread glaze over tops of shortbread squares. Store
Orange-Raisin Shortbread in an airtight container.
Country Living/Sept/90 Scanned & fixed by DP & GG