5 To 5 1/4 C unsifted bread 2 c Very warm water (120′ to
2 pk Rapid-rising dry yeast 18 oz Package shredded extra-sharp
3 tb Sugar -Cheddar cheese
2 ts Dill seeds 1/2 c Chopped fresh dill
1 ts Salt
1. In large bowl, preferably of heavy-duty electric mixer, combine 3 C
flour, the yeast, sugar, dill seeds, and salt.
2. With mixer at medium speed, beat in water to form a sticky batter.
Reserve 1/4 C cheese and beat remaining cheese and the dill into
batter until well mixed-about 4 minutes.
3. With dough hook or wooden spoon, stir in 1 1/2 C flour to form a
soft dough. Cover bowl with clean cloth and let rise in warm place,
away from drafts, until double in size about 45 minutes.
4. With rubber spatula, stir dough down and sprinkle with 1/4 C flour
to coat top; turn out onto floured surface. Knead dough, adding as
much of remaining flour as necessary to prevent sticking, until
smooth and elastic-about 5 minutes. Divide dough and shape each half
into a ball.
5. Using shortening, lightly grease two 1 1/2-quart casseroles or
souffle dishes. Place dough in greased casseroles, Cover with clean
cloth and let rise 25 minutes.
6. Heat oven to 375’F. Bake the loaves 30 minutes. Sprinkle tops with
remaining cheese and bake 10 to 15 minutes longer or until well
browned and loaves sound hollow when tapped on top. Remove loaves
from casseroles and cool on wire rack at least 20 minutes before
Nutrition information per serving-protein: 8 grams, fat: 5 grams;
carbohydrate: 33 grams; fiber: 1 gram; sodium: 224 milligrams;
cholesterol: 15 milligrams: calories: 212.
Country Living/May/94 Scanned & fixed by DP & GG