1 1/2 c To 1 3/4 C unsifted all 1 tb Honey
-purpose flour 1 tb Butter
1 pk Rapid-rising dry yeast 1 lg Golden Delicious or other
1/2 ts Salt -sweet firm apple, peeled,
2/3 c Very warm water (120′ to -cored, & cut into 1/4-inch
-130’F) -thick slices
1/2 c Olive oil 1/4 ts Coarse (kosher) salt (opt.)
1. In large bowl of heavy-duty electric mixer, combine 1 1/2 C flour,
the yeast, and salt. Slowly beat in water, 1/4 C olive oil, and the
honey; vigorously beat mixture 10 minutes. Cover bowl with clean
cloth and let dough rise in warm place, away from drafts, 40 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in large skillet, melt butter. Add apple slices and
saute until very lightly browned; set aside.
3. After dough has risen 40 minutes, turn out onto floured surface.
Gently knead in as much of remaining 1/4 C flour as necessary to form
a very soft dough-about 1 minute. Gently work apple slices into the
4. Lightly oil large baking sheet. With floured fingers, shape dough
into a 9-inch round on oiled sheet. Cover with clean cloth and let
rise in warm place, away from drafts, until double in size-about 30
5. Heat oven to 400’F. With pastry brush, coat top of dough round
with 2 T olive oil; sprinkle with coarse salt, if desired. Bake 15 to
20 minutes or until hearth bread is browned.
6. Drizzle hearth bread with remaining 2 T olive oil and serve warm.
Country Living/Sept/92 Scanned & edited by Di Pahl & gg
1 loaf (6 se